Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split an order into shipments based on the mode profile of each item.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split an order into shipments based on the mode profile of each item.

I have orders with mixed line items that require distinct modes of transportation, thus I need OTM to split an order into shipments based on the mode profile of each item.

Therefore, I created an order with two line items. Each item has a COMMODITY ID linked to a MODE PROFILE. One item is linked to a TL mode profile and the other is a BULK mode profile... I expected OTM to be able to split this Order into two shipments, but it fails to plan and gives me the following error:

Unable to create a bundle for order DOMAIN.TEST - SPLIT 2.
    Commodities are not compatible with the transport mode.

Has anyone attempted this before? Seems like it should be standard functionality….

Thanks in advance!

Additional information:

ORDER RELEASE
    ==============
    -SPLITTABLE FLAG = TRUE

PARAMENTER SET
    ==================
    -ALLOW DIFFERENT RATE OFFERING FOR SPLIT ORDER = TRUE
    -ALLOW DIFFERENT RATE SERVICE FOR SPLIT ORDER = TRUE
    -ALLOW SMALL DIRECT ORDERS TO BE SPLITTABLE = TRUE
    -LTL SPLIT CAPACITY TYPE = WEIGHT
    -CR AGGREGATOR IGNORE COMMODITY = FALSE
    Last edited by BRUSA; August 28, 2009, 15:50.

Re: Split an order into shipments based on the mode profile of each item.

The Commodities are designed to check if multiple orders can (or can't) be put together on one shipment, and not to split up individual orders. When you talk about orders, are you talking about Order Bases (OB) or Order Releases (OR)? If you create your orders as OBs, you could have them released in OTM into separate ORs based on transport mode.

Another note: it is a very odd requirement to dictate the transport mode for an order line. Why is this? I can understand that you want TL over LTL as this has a shorter service time, but then you have to specify the service time as a requirement and not the transport mode.

Comment

Originally posted by LourensGlog View Post
      The Commodities are designed to check if multiple orders can (or can't) be put together on one shipment, and not to split up individual orders. When you talk about orders, are you talking about Order Bases (OB) or Order Releases (OR)? If you create your orders as OBs, you could have them released in OTM into separate ORs based on transport mode.

Another note: it is a very odd requirement to dictate the transport mode for an order line. Why is this? I can understand that you want TL over LTL as this has a shorter service time, but then you have to specify the service time as a requirement and not the transport mode.
      Q1 - Order Bases (OB) or Order Releases (OR)?
      A1 - This is an integration with E1, so the orders come across as OR.

Q2 - ... Why is this?
      A2 - Often times a client will send a PO with multiple items. In the mix there are Packaged items and Bulk items (Bulk is considered to be a separate MOT from TL)… Bulk items can’t be shipped on TL equipment and vice-versa. I should have used Bulk instead of LTL to describe the test scenario in my first tread.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Hi BRUSA,

You can have a work around for this. Remove the link between your commodity and mode profile. Now when a order is received into OTM, you will have order release with two line items with no mode profile specified.

Use the option split order release in OTM to get single Order release for each line item. Now use constraints tab to select your transport mode. Now you will be able to plan your two line items into seperate shipments with seperate modes as required.

Hope this will help.

Rgds
        Uppili
        Last edited by uppiliyappan; August 31, 2009, 07:20.

Comment

Originally posted by uppiliyappan View Post
          Hi BRUSA,

You can have a work around for this. Remove the link between your commodity and mode profile. Now when a order is received into OTM, you will have order release with two line items with no mode profile specified.

Use the option split order release in OTM to get single Order release for each line item. Now use constraints tab to select your transport mode. Now you will be able to plan your two line items into seperate shipments with seperate modes as required.

Hope this will help.

Rgds
          Uppili
          Uppili,
          The ‘manual’ process you suggested is not the solution we are looking for due to the high number of orders that would have to be manually splitted... The objective is to have OTM look at the constraint and 'automatically' perform any split necessary.

OTM does identify Items that can and can’t ship together. Why can’t it also auto bundle the items and create multiple shipments based on the item constraints?

Thanks!
          Last edited by BRUSA; August 31, 2009, 19:26.

Comment

Two other options:
            - Change the interface to create Order Bases instead of Order Releases
            - Split the order in E1 prior to sending to OTM

Comment

Two other options:
              - Change the interface to create Order Bases instead of Order Releases
              - Split the order in E1 prior to sending to OTM
              Q: Is it possible to automatically split the OB into OR based on the item constraints? Or is it a manual process?

Tks

Comment

Hi BRUSA

Each line item can be of Order Base can be released into separate Order Release automatically based on constraints.

Rgds
                sophia

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia View Post
                  Hi BRUSA

Each line item can be of Order Base can be released into separate Order Release automatically based on constraints.

Rgds
                  sophia
                  Hi Sophia\LourensGlog
                  I created the OR from the OB by activating the agent ORDER BASE - INSERT.

Unfortunately OTM did not take into consideration the Item Commodity Mode Constraint, thus it did not split the OB items into separate ORs... Am I missing something?

Regards,
                  Brusa
                  Last edited by BRUSA; September 1, 2009, 14:40.

Comment

Brusa,

The order releasing process is described in detail in OTM Online Help. If you are not able to work this out yourself, you may want to consider hiring consulting support for which I am at your service.

Lourens

http://www.andriesseconsulting.com
                    Last edited by LourensGlog; September 1, 2009, 14:11. Reason: Typo

Comment

Brusa,

The order releasing process is described in detail in OTM Online Help. If you are not able to work this out yourself, you may want to consider hiring consulting support for which I am at your service.

Lourens

Andriesse Consulting
                      We’ll keep your services in mind for something greater than this small task… Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X