Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacity Manager and Planning

Hi,

I've been testing a scenario and am not getting the desired result. I'm wondering if OTM is functioning as designed, or whether I can "influence" OTM to reach the desired outcome.

I have three orders which will plan into three TL shipments....this is a desired outcome, and I'm getting this result as desired.

I've set up a Capacity Group with a Capacity Limit of two for one carrier, and no capacity constraints on the other carrier. When I plan the three shipments two shipments go to the carrier with the Capacity Limit, one goes to the other carrier. Again, this is the desired result.

The problem comes in when I see which orders were assigned to which carrier. The least cost option (for all three orders/shipments) is not occurring. I'm trying to come up with the least cost option.

I've also tried to adjust the planning parameters, but results aren't improving. I've reduced the Service Provider Assignment/Carrier Capacity Weighting Factor from the default of 0.70 to 0.30, and have set the Rerate all Shipments after bulk plan setting from the default of false to true.

Any thoughts on how I can achieve the least cost solution across all shipments?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Re: Capacity Manager and Planning

Hi Jim,
    I have simulated the above test case in my instance and facing the same issue.

The only way or work around for getting the most optimum (least cost) solution is to define unique "ship group" in each order release's constraint page and then bulk plan together - I don't know the logic of this but somehow system is returning the least cost solution.

Please try at your end.
    Nipun Lakhotia
    Manager, EY

Comment

Hi Jim,

we are facing similar results. I reckon that OTM rates "fulfilling the commitment" higher then the "least cost". Due to the fact that without commitment it choses the cheaper rates, this seems to be the only explanation to me....

Cheers
      Oliver

Comment

But OTM is not choosing the cheapest combination possible ( even if no commitments are defined) ?
        Nipun Lakhotia
        Manager, EY

Comment

Heya,

can you provide access to your environment (you could email it to [email protected]) ? Its a bit hard to see why leat cost isnt considered "at all" without looking at the data.

Rgds
          Oliver

Comment

In my situation an order equals a full TL so if I were to try to use the 'ship with group' field then I'd still get 3 shipments for 3 orders. I'm of the opinion that when Capacity Management is being used that OTM looks to solve capacity requirements first, then looks at least cost AFTER capacity has been satisfied. If this is the case, then the optimal solution won't be attained.

I'm wondering if bumping up the Solution Improvement parameter in planning parameters might help?

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X