X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3PL planning of buy & sell shipments

Hi all,

Scenario
    In basic 3PL world, both buy and sell shipments are required. Sell shipments should be created after buy shipment creation

What is the general practice for sell shipment creation?
    option1: create agent at buy shipment creation, which in turn creates sell shipment
    option2: schedule a sell shipment creation process management, which runs every 10 minutes and create sell shipments for orders which are already planned

Considerations
    • Load on OTM application server
    • Consider scenario when around 5000 orders are planned together in one bulk plan - then load on application server become 2 fold as both buy and sell planning will occur at same time

Please advise which approach to take?

Regards
    Nipun
    Nipun Lakhotia
    Manager, EY

Re: 3PL planning of buy & sell shipments

Create sell when buy shipment tender is accepted (TL) or sent (LTL). You don't need the sell shipments when the planner is reviewing/modifying shipment planning results.

Comment

What if all shipments are auto tendered/approved?

In our scenario, all buy shipments are auto approved on creation. Hence buy and sell shipments are created simultaneously. What can be best approach in this case?

Regards
      Nipun
      Nipun Lakhotia
      Manager, EY

Comment

Then I guess performance would be your main consideration.

If sell shipment creation is lower priority than buy side, then I would suggest
        option1: pull BuildSellSideShipment (glog.workflow.topic.group.glog.server.agent.busin ess.shipment.BuildSellSideShipment) out of agentPlanning queue
        Please refer to
        http://www.otmfaq.com/forums/f15/una...2420/#post8883 (option 3)
        or
        "Workflow Thread Tuning" section in Performance Monitoring and Tuning Guide (available for 6.x only)

option2: schedule to run at midnight or off-peak hours
        Last edited by josephliang; July 2, 2010, 07:15.
        --
        Joseph Liang
        MavenWire APAC
        http://www.mavenwire.com/

Comment

Be careful not to make problems when there isn't one.

You mention that the app server load is doubled when you need to plan both buy and sell simultaneously. Wrong: planning the buy shipments will take much more time than the sell, because for the buy all 5000 order combinations have to be checked. For sell shipments, typically only order bundling is considered, and you would only plan orders together that are on a created buy shipment.

For your scenario my recommendation is:
          - Don't bulk plan orders on buy shipments for which you know they will never get on the same shipment, e.g. different planning for air and road orders.
          - Set up workflow to automatically plan sell shipments for bulk planned buy shipments, and they run your 5000 order plan. Then remove the sell shipment creation workflow and see if the bulk plan is quicker. My guess is maximum 5%.
          - I second Joseph's suggestion to create the sell shipments at off-peak hours.

Comment

Working...
          X