OTM 6.0 on VMware environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTM 6.0 on VMware environment

Has anyone successfully deployed OTM suite in Virtualization environment?
    OTM doc does not say/mention anything about whether it can run / support in VM instance.

I have run in the past for Dev instance but not tried for "Production" and would like to know your experience.

We are thinking of setting up VM for OTM-Database , OTM-OAS & OTM-Web server and appreciate if you can help me whether it is ok and how about getting Oracle-OTM team support after we go live.

VG.

Re: OTM 6.0 on VMware environment

OTM isn't great to run in a VM environment as the JDK experiences severe degradation. I would definitely not use this in a production environment (unless you want to have angry co-workers/customers). Besides there is no need to do this as you can configure any part of OTM to run on a different port/IP address and the database can run multiple instances. To me it is just a waste to have this in a VM as you take a performance hit in ANY VM and servers are relatively cheap to purchase.

The only thing we use VMs for is installing FTI for multiple instances. It is needed because so far we haven't found a way to install multiple versions of OBIEE on the same server.
    If my post was helpful please click on the Thanks! button

MavenWire Hosting Admin
    15 years of OTM experience

Comment

Nick

Thanks for the reply.
      I did have issues running JVM in VMware in the past but I heard that OTM 6.0 can run on Enterprise Version VMware.

Thanks again.

VG

Comment

You can certainly try it, but you'll never get the best performance as running it natively. And there really is no reason not to run it natively and for that matter multiple versions.

I don't know where you got your information that OTM will work on VMware, but from the admin guide there is no mention of VM

MavenWire Hosting Admin

Comment

Technically, OTM will run on VMWare but performance degradation is still a big issue. It is also supported on Oracle's VM (not VMWare), but again - performance degradation will cause issues for all but the smallest OTM customers.

As an OTM Hosting provider, we're very interested in being able to use virtualization with OTM - but it just hasn't reached maturity yet for large, performance-hungry applications like OTM.

--Chris

Comment

Chris, is this still the case with 6.2? We are running all our environments on VMWare and are experiencing slow running Bulk Plans and would like to know if we are being constrained by our parameters of the planning or the VMWare environment.

Comment

Yes - this is still the case. We test regularly with Virtualization in order to certify it for our Hosting. Once it becomes a viable option, I'll jump all over it

--Chris

Comment

Chris, is this still the case with 6.3?

Thanks,
                Eric

Comment

Eric,

Virtualization is getting a little better. There are still things that we see in VMs that do not appear standard server setups. The issues that I have seen are mostly related to Oracle VM server. I can't comment on anything VMware since we only use Oracle VM and KVM.

I would say you may look at using VMs for any small to mid sized customers. If you plan to VM the databases I wouldn't recommend running this with any databases over 500-750GB in size, unless you have a very powerful SAN with IOPS 15,000+. We have one of our customers running on a VM DB (3TB between 2 databases and RMAN backups) and they are maxing out that server which is rated at 7,500 IOPS. The database server could not handle another VM. On a standalone setup, this server could handle 8 or more databases.

MavenWire Hosting Admin

Comment

@ericw - I couldn't agree more with Nick -- he covered the current state well.

--Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X