Installing OTM on a laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing OTM on a laptop

Is it possible to install OTM on a laptop? I need an environment to fiddle around in and/or give demonstrations in. If so, what do you recommend, installing it under windows XP or installing it an a VMware environment? And with me being a functional consultant, what are the odds of making the install succesfull by myself?

Or, as an alternative, are there any environments available like the solutionbeacon one for Oracle Apps?

Re: Installing OTM on a laptop

Well your options are going to be limited. Even with a 1GB JVM for tomcat and weblogic you still are going to need about a gig for a database. It is possible but with the 32-bit version of Win 2003 you won't be able to do much more since your going to cap out around 3.5GB. XP is an unsupported platform for OTM, but you can certainly play around if you have the time. If you have more memory, I would go with a Linux install. Forget about the VM...it will give you nothing but problems and if you think running XP in one is slow, wait until you have 3 gigs + in one.
    If my post was helpful please click on the Thanks! button

MavenWire Hosting Admin
    15 years of OTM experience

Comment

OK, thanks. I have 4 GB of memory on my laptop, but that is where it ends, since it's a 32-bit laptop. I allready have an 11g database in a CentOS on VMWare environment, it would save me a lot of work if I can use that as a starting point.

Comment

At a minimum for OTM, I'd recommend a computer (laptop, desktop, server) with 8GB. This will suffice for the memory requirements of Apache, Tomcat, WebLogic (or OAS), and the DB server. You likely will not be able to accommodate Reports and/or FTI with that amount of memory. For everything on one box, including Reports/FTI, I'd recommend 10-12GB.

--Chris

Comment

Thanks for a usefull post. I have now tried to get OTM, without the report server, working on my laptop. But I start to see now that it'll take some more than just me and my laptop.

As far as anyone knows there's not a demo environment like solutionbeacon for EBS available for OTM somewhere?

Regards,

Hinko

Comment

Correct - there currently isn't. We do have demo environments without our Hosting, but these are currently limited to customers and internal resources.

I'm not sure how the Solution Beacon model works - but I could look into it, to see if there's a way for us to provide the same to the community. I may have to find a commercial reason to justify it, however.

--Chris

Comment

I don't know how solutionbeacon finances their environment, but given that you need to be an Oracle partner to use solutionbeacon I guess Oracle themselves have something to do with it.

Perhaps Oracle sees some value in having a working sandbox environment for OTM as well. I guess I am not alone in wanting one. Especially here in Europe OTM knowledge is far and wide between.

Meanwhile I'll just try the laptop

Regards,

Comment

I'm reaching out to some of my OTM / Oracle contacts to see if this is a viable business opportunity.

In the short-term, I'd recommend purchasing 1-2 desktops and installing OTM on them.

--Chris

Comment

Working...
                X