Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTI installation on the system running OTM server

Hello all,
    I have OTM5.5 CU4 running on Windows Server 2003.
    Now I have installed OBIEE 10.1.3 on the same system running OTM server.
    For OBIEE Tomcat Server I have configured different ports to avoid any port conflicts,if any.
    I have started all the OBIEE services and haven't seen any errors in any of the corresponding log files.
    But when I access any of the links under "Transportation Intelligence" in OTM,I am getting the error "Page not found".
    One suggestion was that I have to configure VirtualHosts since both OTM and OBIEE are running on the same system.
    Can someone suggest any solution how to configure virtualhosts.

Thanks in advance,
    Durga Rao

Re: FTI installation on the system running OTM server

Hello,

Nick is much more experienced with installing and troubleshooting than I am, but I do have one thing that may help.

Do you have a firewall on the Win2003 server, or between you and the server? I ask because of how FTI behaves - when you click on an FTI link, your browser is redirected from the OTM web server and connects directly to the FTI web server (Tomcat). If it's not able to make this connection, you'll get a "Page not found" error.

Hope this helps!

--Chris

Comment

Chris,
      Thanks for your reply.
      In this case,both OTM and FTI are running on the same system.
      Do you think this firewall issue is applicable in this case as well?

Also when i run the URL http://hostnameort# (port# is one of the listen ports configured in OBIEEHOME\apache\conf\httpd.conf file),i am getting Blank Page.
      Is this the issue with the firewall?

Thanks again,
      Durga Rao

Originally posted by chrisplough View Post
      Hello,

Nick is much more experienced with installing and troubleshooting than I am, but I do have one thing that may help.

Do you have a firewall on the Win2003 server, or between you and the server? I ask because of how FTI behaves - when you click on an FTI link, your browser is redirected from the OTM web server and connects directly to the FTI web server (Tomcat). If it's not able to make this connection, you'll get a "Page not found" error.

Hope this helps!

--Chris

Comment

Durga,

Have you install apache for FTI and configured that to interface with tomcat for FTI? The 5.5 admin guide has many steps that are missing (unless they updated it). I would suggest that you get the 6.0 admin guide. Keep in mind you need to have the 9i client installed to get FTI working.

Nick
        If my post was helpful please click on the Thanks! button

MavenWire Hosting Admin
        15 years of OTM experience

Comment

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply.
          As suggested by the install guide,i copied the apache folder from OTM_HOME into OBIEE_HOME and made changes to the config files.

One more clarification regarding the port numbers used for OBIEE.
          In the glog.properties,
          aa_webserver=<hostId.DomainName>ort#
          ,the port#has to be the default port for the tomcat installed under OBIEE_HOME.Is this right?

Also I am bit confused to what portnumbers to be used for Listen ports in OBIEE_HOME/apache/conf/httpd.conf as both the OTM and OBIEE are running on the same windows machine.

If anyone can share a complete OBIEE installation guide for Windows platform,that would be really great.

Thanks,
          durga Rao

Comment

aa_webserver is the apache port that is running your apache instance of FTI (Usually 8081). This isn't the tomcat port. It is in your workers.properties that you tell apache what port your FTI tomcat is running on. If you pull the 6.0 admin guide from metalink it has most of what needs to be done to get this working.

MavenWire Hosting Admin

Comment

Nick,

Thanks for your reply.
              I am getting the error "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".
              I believe the problem is with the Apache Server.
              The installation guide that is provided says "Copy the apache folder from OTM_HOME into OBIEE_HOME and modify httpd.conf,worker.properties,mod_jk.conf to reflect ip address,location of the OBIEE_HOME"
              This is what I have been doing so far even though you mentioned to install Apaches in your earlier replies..
              Do I need to install the Apache Server as well(instead of just copying the apache folder as mentioned above)?

If Yes,
              1)I tried installing Apache Server,but couldn't find worker.properties,mod_jk.conf files and few other directories under OBIEE_HOME/apache/conf dir.
              2)what is the order of starting the services including the Apache Service.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

By installing Apache I meant copying it from your OTM directory. Have you changed all of the locations in all of the configuration files to point to the directory you have moved it to under FTI? Also have you changed the port to something like 8081? Did you update your workers.properties file to listen on the IP and port that the Tomcat for your FTI instance is running on?

MavenWire Hosting Admin

Comment

Nick,
                  Thanks for your reply.
                  I copied the Apache directory to OBIEE_HOME and changed the location,ip address to the corresponding values in httpd.conf,worker.properties and mod_jk.conf.
                  I have installed the OBIEE on a separate system now.The listen ports in the httpd.conf are 80 and 443.
                  The same has been used in the glog.properties file
                  aa_webserver=OBIEEHost.domainName:80

I have modified the worker.properties to include the ip address and the ajp13 port(8009) of the Tomcat Server for OBIEE .

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
                  Durga Rao

Comment

When you mention "I have installed the OBIEE on a separate system now" is the Apache/Tomcat installed in the same directory with OBIEE? Also have you installed the Oracle 9i client for OBIEE?

MavenWire Hosting Admin

Comment

Nick,
                      I have installed Oracle Client9i and a connect string RPTAPP pointing to the OTM database is placed in the tnsnames.ora file.
                      Also I have installed the Tomcat under OBIEE_HOME and configured the server.xml as mentioned in the admin guide(8005,8009 ports are used for shutdown and ajp13).
                      Finally copied the "apache" folder from OTM_HOME to OBIEE_HOME and made changes in the httpd.conf,worker.properties and mod_jk.conf files to reflect new directory location,ip address and ports.
                      One clarification regarding the starting of services.
                      While starting OTM,i started otmapp55,otmwebtomcat55 and otmweb55 services in order.
                      Similarly while starting services for OBIEE,the order was like
                      BI oc4j,BI Server,BI Java Host,BI Presentation Server,Tomcat and BI Scheduler.
                      There isn't a place where i am starting the service for the Apache Server for the OBIEE as i did in the OTM(otmweb55).

And by the way I am using Sun JDK1.5 instead of JRockit.
                      Can this be the issue?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
                      durga Rao
                      Last edited by dgoli; July 3, 2009, 09:53.

Comment

You can basically copy the otmweb55 script and modify it to the new directory and name it otmobiweb55 or something like that. Or you can do what I did and create an oraclebi55 script that incorporates all of the startups from apache/tomcat/oraclebi into one. You can even use the WaitforServer.pl to make sure each part of the OBI is up before proceeding to the next. Here are the default ports to use if you are planning on using the WaitforServer.pl

OBI_SAW_PORT=9710
                        OBI_SCHEDULER_PORT=9705
                        OBI_SERVER_PORT=9703

MavenWire Hosting Admin

Comment

To install FTI using 2-pages instruction from OTM Admin Guide is painful.
                          Here is my complete steps to install FTI.
                          Also, starting from 5.5 CU5, more detail steps (some of them are copied from my doc ) are included in OTM Admin Guide. You can find it from CU5 installation CD or
                          http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...nistration.pdf
                          Attached Files
                          --
                          Joseph Liang
                          MavenWire APAC
                          http://www.mavenwire.com/

Comment

I just realized that previous attachment only works for 5.5 CU4 and the Admin Guide is still chaotic.

Here are my complete steps for installing FTI on OTM 5.5 CU5
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by josephliang; April 22, 2010, 07:36.
                            --
                            Joseph Liang
                            MavenWire APAC

Comment

Here are my complete steps for installing FTI on OTM 6.1

The key points are
                              • Use 32bit JDK for OBIEE
                              • Use 32bit Oracle Client for OBIEE
                              • If on 64bit Windows, use 64bit ODBC Data Source Administrator to configure DSN
                              • Set PATH and TNS_ADMIN environment variables to use 32bit Oracle Client
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by josephliang; April 23, 2010, 04:29.
                              --
                              Joseph Liang
                              MavenWire APAC

Comment

Working...
                              X