Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTM 5.5 CU2 to OTM 6 Upgrade Pointer appreciated

Hello Pro's.

We are getting on to the upgrade of 5.5 CU2 to OTM 6. I would like to know what are all the key specific's or things to moniter or things to do while we are migrating to OTM 6.0. or what are pain points we are going to face or to consider for fruitfull go-live.

so any help in regards on GOOD PRACTICES during upgradie will be very much appreciated .

I believe pro's could help me out with their smooth migration Tips.

i gone through several doc's in this forum and precise pointers will be apprecited.

Thank you,
    RayGopal.

Re: OTM 5.5 CU2 to OTM 6 Upgrade Pointer appreciated

First - take a look through the Admin Guide, it'll tell you most everything that you need. Otherwise, here's some high-level help to get you pointed in the right direction:
    • Install v6.0 at least once in a clean environment, to ensure you understand the installation process and that your hardware/platform supports OTM v6.x.
    • Review the OTM Technical Architecture guide, as several components require upgrades to newer versions in order to be supported (OS, DB, App server, etc).
    • Don't forget the 3rd Party library files!
    • Patch to the OTM v5.5 CU5 and the latest RU before upgrading to v6.0. Don't upgrade to CU6, as it doesn't have an upgrade path directly to v6.0 - only v6.1 when it's released.
    • Allow lots of extra time for testing. All of your customizations (XSLs for screens and workflow, reports, schemas, etc) will all need to be updated to work with the new version. Integration will also need to be tested and may need updates.
    • You'll spend a lot of time on the DB migration - that's the biggest and most error-prone portion of the upgrade.
    • OTM v6.x uses a 64-bit JVM, so you can take advantage of a 64-bit OS and higher memory limits as part of the migration.
    • Test the migration multiple times before upgrading your PROD environment -- we recommend at least 3 test migrations.

--Chris

Comment

Chris/pro's

That was a very useful post. I have a question, What is the most recommendable, reliable, scalable, performance oriented Hardware and software you been seen in your clients.

Application Server
      Database Server
      Web Server

Thank you
      Vinoth
      Thanks,
      Vinoth Gopalakrishnan
      http://www.vinoth.co/
      Reach out for OTM/GTM - Transportation/Logistics and Blockchain Consultations/Strategy

Comment

That depends on what you're trying to achieve and what types of loads you're going to put against the system (bulk plans, visibility, high integration loads, etc).

The main rules of thumb are:
        • Linux is the best performing and most scalable platform for OTM (partially because of the JRockit performance).
        • WebLogic is the best performing and most reliable app server
        • The new Intel i7 CPUs perform very well with OTM, though CPU model still makes a big difference. For instance, the 5570 CPUs outperform the rest significantly.
        • OTM is sensitive to memory bandwidth and on-die cache speeds, so 1333MHz memory makes a noticeable difference in performance.
        • So far, the Dell r710 servers have been fantastic. We should be testing pre-release versions of the Dell r910 servers, which will utilize the next generation of i7 CPUs with 4-8 cores each (16-32 cores per server), so there are even more performance opportunities in the near future.

--Chris

Comment

Sorry - posted prematurely. See above.

In addition, tuning makes a HUGE difference in OTM performance. So, your platform and hardware will set your performance boundaries, but your configuration and tuning will determine your actual performance levels.

--Chris

Comment

Chris,

That was an interesting and solid sketch!. i will put forward our configuration and performance once we get on it and that might be helpful..

Thank you,

Vinoth
            Thanks,
            Vinoth Gopalakrishnan
            http://www.vinoth.co/
            Reach out for OTM/GTM - Transportation/Logistics and Blockchain Consultations/Strategy

Comment

Working...
            X