Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTM 64 bit on a Linux 64 Bit OS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OTM 64 bit on a Linux 64 Bit OS

    Hi,
    Is OTM 64 BIT certified by oracle to run on a Linux 64 BIT OS ? The oracle database is 64 BIT resides on a 10gR2, 64 BIT OS
    TIA
    Mnlv00

  • #2
    Re: OTM 64 bit on a Linux 64 Bit OS

    The Oracle database may run as 64-bit but the the OTM application is only certified with 32-bit. You may run the OTM application on a 64-bit OS as a 32-bit application.
    If my post was helpful please click on the Thanks! button

    MavenWire Hosting Admin
    15 years of OTM experience

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: OTM 64 bit on a Linux 64 Bit OS

      BEA WebLogic's JVM is still 32 bit for Linux 64 so yes OTM will run under 32 bit however, the JVM can use larger than 4GB of memory.

      You might want to check out this thread:

      http://www.otmfaq.com/forums/f27/sol...1-4-2_08-a-29/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: OTM 64 bit on a Linux 64 Bit OS

        Originally posted by ianlo View Post
        BEA WebLogic's JVM is still 32 bit for Linux 64 so yes OTM will run under 32 bit however, the JVM can use larger than 4GB of memory.

        You might want to check out this thread:

        http://www.otmfaq.com/forums/f27/sol...1-4-2_08-a-29/
        2.4-2.5 GB is the highest you will be able to get with OTM until it is certified to work as a 64-bit application.

        I did run a test using the 5.5 OAS install, changed the JDK to Jrockit's 64-bit and was able to get the heap size to 6GB (on a 8GB machine) successfully. The sun 64-bit JDK was unstable. All of this is non-supported and will not work with the DASH license as well.
        If my post was helpful please click on the Thanks! button

        MavenWire Hosting Admin
        15 years of OTM experience

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: OTM 64 bit on a Linux 64 Bit OS

          Originally posted by nick.polites View Post
          2.4-2.5 GB is the highest you will be able to get with OTM until it is certified to work as a 64-bit application.

          I did run a test using the 5.5 OAS install, changed the JDK to Jrockit's 64-bit and was able to get the heap size to 6GB (on a 8GB machine) successfully. The sun 64-bit JDK was unstable. All of this is non-supported and will not work with the DASH license as well.
          Hi Nick,

          Thanks for the info. May I kindly know where did you download the JRockit 64 bit JRE? I was unable to find it on the BEA website. All I got when I followed the link was a 32-bit JRE. I would also like to try out the 64 bit JRE on a Linux 64.

          Thanks!
          Ian

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: OTM 64 bit on a Linux 64 Bit OS

            Originally posted by ianlo View Post
            Hi Nick,

            Thanks for the info. May I kindly know where did you download the JRockit 64 bit JRE? I was unable to find it on the BEA website. All I got when I followed the link was a 32-bit JRE. I would also like to try out the 64 bit JRE on a Linux 64.

            Thanks!
            Ian

            You'll need to use Jrockit version 5.0 in order to get the 64-bit version to work. This is why it only works with the OAS install. You can get it from this url:

            BEA JRockit 5.0

            You'll also need to modify the OAS config file as it is setup with the Sun JDK parameters.
            If my post was helpful please click on the Thanks! button

            MavenWire Hosting Admin
            15 years of OTM experience

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: OTM 64 bit on a Linux 64 Bit OS

              Hi Ian and Nick

              As per Metalink Doc ID -469098.1 - The question "Is OTM 64 Bit fully tested and certified on a 64 BIT Linux OS with a 64 BIT Oracle DB?" - is answered as "Yes, OTM is certified to work on Linux 64bit OS.", (Is this question posted on Metalink by one of you :-))

              Well BEA recommends 8.1 SP4 WEblogic for 64 Bit to run with JRockit 1.4.2_05 JDK for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 (32-bit). And as per OTM Administration guide JDK required is 1.4.2.

              So would it be advisable to run Weblogic 8.1 SP4 for 64 Bit with a 64 Bit JRE i.e. JRockit 5.0 R27.4 JDK, which is not recommended by OTM till now.

              What would be your opinion on this.

              Thanks and Regards,
              Suresh

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: OTM 64 bit on a Linux 64 Bit OS

                Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                Hi Ian and Nick

                As per Metalink Doc ID -469098.1 - The question "Is OTM 64 Bit fully tested and certified on a 64 BIT Linux OS with a 64 BIT Oracle DB?" - is answered as "Yes, OTM is certified to work on Linux 64bit OS.", (Is this question posted on Metalink by one of you :-))

                Well BEA recommends 8.1 SP4 WEblogic for 64 Bit to run with JRockit 1.4.2_05 JDK for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.0 (32-bit). And as per OTM Administration guide JDK required is 1.4.2.

                So would it be advisable to run Weblogic 8.1 SP4 for 64 Bit with a 64 Bit JRE i.e. JRockit 5.0 R27.4 JDK, which is not recommended by OTM till now.

                What would be your opinion on this.

                Thanks and Regards,
                Suresh
                Suresh,

                The metalink quote is a bit misleading. Yes you can run OTM and the database on a 64-bit operating system as it mentions. What you cannot do however is run OTM/Weblogic and the JDK in 64-bit mode. You have to run it as 32-bit mode on the 64-bit OS. What I have suggested is a hack that it is possible to run it but should not be attempted unless you are testing for the heck of it. I know for one that if you tried running the 64-bit hack, you won’t be able to get the DASH licensing to work as it needs 64-bit files. I don’t know what else will break either as I only tested it out for a day.

                Nick
                If my post was helpful please click on the Thanks! button

                MavenWire Hosting Admin
                15 years of OTM experience

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: OTM 64 bit on a Linux 64 Bit OS

                  Originally posted by nick.polites View Post
                  Suresh,

                  The metalink quote is a bit misleading. Yes you can run OTM and the database on a 64-bit operating system as it mentions. What you cannot do however is run OTM/Weblogic and the JDK in 64-bit mode. You have to run it as 32-bit mode on the 64-bit OS. What I have suggested is a hack that it is possible to run it but should not be attempted unless you are testing for the heck of it. I know for one that if you tried running the 64-bit hack, you won’t be able to get the DASH licensing to work as it needs 64-bit files. I don’t know what else will break either as I only tested it out for a day.

                  Nick
                  Hi Nick,

                  Thanks for the info! Looks like unless I am moving to OAS, I don't think I would be able to use 64 bit. Even then, unless Oracle certifies all the 3rd party libraries as 64-bit it would also not be feasible.

                  Thanks for all your responses !

                  Ian

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: OTM 64 bit on a Linux 64 Bit OS

                    As a quick note -- I've heard some rumblings that OTM will support the JDK 5.0 (1.5.0) and also a 64-bit version of the JDK in OTM v6.0, and I would be very surprised if either are supported earlier than that.

                    My concern with OAS, is that it is only officially supported on the Sun JDK and not with JRockit -- which performs considerably faster.

                    Keep in mind that these are just rumors - so I wouldn't plan on them until Oracle officially releases the specs for OTM v6.0.

                    --Chris

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X