creating Organization structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• creating Organization structure

In which menu do we have the option to create the Organization struture.
    I mean I want to establish a companies org structure
    e.g.
    ORG1 has 2 Companies
    Company 1 has 4 regions and each region has 4 branchs each branch having 2-3 departments
    how do we create this structre.
    In Oracle EBS we do it in Multi Org Functionality.
    or do we need to depend on EBS if yes, how was this implemented in Glog before integration?
    and also can anyone help me to provide the steps involved in the below case study requirement
    http://www.otmwiki.com/wiki/index.ph...nd_their_roles.
    Last edited by bscyadav; January 21, 2010, 05:37.
    B.S.Chakravarthy Yadav
    Product Design Head

Re: creating Organization structure

The question is: why do you want to create an organisation structure? OTM is primarily designed to manage freight.

Comment

The EBS Org structure is quite a bit different from the OTM domain structure. You'll find that the OTM domain structure is more flexible and configurable -- allowing you to either mimic your EBS Org structure, if appropriate.

As far as the Domain setup needed in OTM -- this is a critical component of the OTM design and I highly recommend getting experienced help, since this is difficult (if not impossible) to change once you've gone live. The best practices on domain structure have evolved over time, primarily to allow better data management (for instance, having a parent domain contain public data, with child domains representing business-units or customers) and to allow better performance (i.e. allowing the domain structure to dictate the data access requirements, rather than relying on VPDs).

--Chris

Comment

In my previous experience with 3 TMS applications
        The Organization structure is used to tag the users to each structure entity and the Roles and responsibilities or data access is defined.
        May be my terminology needs to be corrected with the OTM J
        So, do I understand that OTM domains can be configured to behave like a Structure entity and users can be tagged to domains?
        As each domain can have a child domain we can create domains and child domains to establish the structure?
        In the scenario mentioned in the case study, which was one of my previous implementation requirement do I understand that
        Organization is a Primary Domain and Companies are child domains and regions are again child domains to the company domain.
        Please let me know if my understanding is right.
        B.S.Chakravarthy Yadav
        Product Design Head

Comment

BTW - the domain page over at the OTMWiki is getting pretty good -- I'd take a look there to learn more about the options you have.

Domains - OTM Wiki

To another one of your questions (just saw it) - users aren't tagged within domains - their accounts actually exist within a particular domain or sub-domain. As such, their data view is limited by default to what the domain is able to access.

--Chris

Comment

In Oracle EBS the data segregation is with Org's and now we got Multi-org. As per my understanding OTM goes by Domain, security goes by Roles and Levels with Functions. And granular security is done by VPD, etc.. In EBS We have Responsibilities are assigned to User and Responsbitlies are tied to Operating Unit(OU). And creating a structure in Oracle say Set of Books(3c's), Business Unit, OU etc...is very different.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

Thanks
            Vinoth
            Thanks,
            Vinoth Gopalakrishnan
            http://www.vinoth.co/
            Reach out for OTM/GTM - Transportation/Logistics and Blockchain Consultations/Strategy

Comment

Do we have anything like operating Units or Business Units creation in OTM
              If yes what is the menu navigation for it.
              If No how is it achieved in OTM?
              The reason for asking is when we integrate the OTM to EBS or any other accounting system what Entities in OTM are mapped to the Business Units in the external system.
              B.S.Chakravarthy Yadav
              Product Design Head

Comment

Do we have anything like operating Units or Business Units creation in OTM?

Ans: No

If No how is it achieved in OTM?

Ans: We have Domains and we have PUBLIC's data, like screensets, Managerlayout, shipment methods, Offering types etc, Currency etc...
                In EBS the reason behind Business Unit is used for company HR setups, The operating unit owns subinventory, Organization etc..

So OTM doesn't deal with any of these, but dealt with automating freight management, etc...

The reason for asking is when we integrate the OTM to EBS or any other accounting system what Entities in OTM are mapped to the Business Units in the external system?

Ans: For Accounting, say invoicing.

1. OTM creates Invoices
                2. Match Invoice with shipment
                3. Audit( Approval)
                4. Once approved voucher created
                5. Voucher interfaced to Oracle Payables

The above is a example and like wise there are quit bit prebuilt interfaces play crucial part from EBS to OTM for carriers, Orders etc...

So finally OTM doesn't deal with BU or OU.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

Thanks,
                Vinoth
                Thanks,
                Vinoth Gopalakrishnan
                http://www.vinoth.co/
                Reach out for OTM/GTM - Transportation/Logistics and Blockchain Consultations/Strategy

Comment

Working...
                X