Email Redundancy and Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Redundancy and Log

Ok, so I need to know how I can configure my OTM instance better.

I would like to know how to configure OTM to queue messages like our Exchange Server does. This week our mail server ran out of disk space, so for about an hour no emails went through. In our experience the notifications that would have been generated from OTM failed, and were never retransmitted.

Our Exchange system is configured to retry email transmission every X minutes for Y hours if a transmission fails. How do I set something like this in OTM?

The other thing I need to setup is a way to see what notifications BATS tried to generate. Is there a place (Transmission Manager?) to go to find this information? Is it a log file that I need to setup (Notify?)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Email Redundancy and Log

OTM doesn't allow this, so I'd recommend one of the following:

Either setup multiple SMTP relay servers and have them load-balanced, allowing them to failover in the event of a failure.

Second, you can setup OTM to use a specific email address as the "From" email address. If you set this to a valid email account, the bounced messages will end up in that mailbox, allowing you to manually resend at a later point.

--Chris

Comment

We must have a slight miscommunication. What we use is a single email address from OTM. But since our email server was down, when OTM tried to hand off the messages, they all failed. At this point I do not believe there is a way in OTM to solve this problem.

ENHANCEMENT REQUEST!!!!

Comment

I agree with the ER

I do think that having multiple, load-balanced SMTP relay servers would have worked, though - rather than relaying through your Exchange server.

--Chris

Comment

Working...
        X